Monday 24 November 2014

Women’s Development Centre, St. Peter’s Parish

At the Women’s Development Centre we met Virginia(mum) and her triplets, Vincent, Victor and Veronica.  This family is supported by one of the Fathers thus the children attend Katawa nursery.  I do not see nurseries here in schools; this is the first one.  Normally children attend primary from the age of 6 years so the triplets have a couple of years yet at nursery hopefully.  Mum is supported by the ladies at the Women’s development Centre; they give the family some basic essentials at certain times eg. maize. Thanks to a donation from home, nursery uniforms are being now being made for the children.

Rosalee (left) and Modesta (right) from the W.D.C
Mum and triplets (centre)

Once again, we spent a lovely afternoon playing games with the children but eventually had to give up due to the scorching sun.  The children love the Frisbees.  Once again I am amazed at strength of the girls. They were moving heavy logs for the fire.  Life for many females here, I think is very demanding and physical.  I find even just buying the vegetables at the market, my shopping bag gets heavy quickly and I can only carry it a short distance.  Perhaps I should have attended the gym more regularly, prior to coming out here!

No comments:

Post a Comment